Thursday, December 18, 2008

Aware of my Race.

Hello.
First of all we only have 1 1/2 days of school left before winter break (and we will probably have a snow day) so I hope everyone has a good break! and now for the whole class related blog thing...

Well, it's no secret that mcfarland has mostly caucasian students, I would venture to say about 97%. So clearly I am used to living in a culture that is not very diverse. When Mr. Kunkle asked about a time we became aware of our race/gender I immediately thought of when I went to spain to visit my sister. Her host family was having a birthday party for their youngest daughter so I went with Mallory. I had taken a few spanish classes, but I definately couldn't understand what they were saying. I felt completely out of place, because even though they were nice and smiled at me, I couldn't communicate with them at all (and I felt really stupid when I tried). The little spanish I did know didn't help me either, since they had such thick accents. Oh Well...

1 comment:

Keenen D said...

Crazy, I would of been so embarrassed. I can't speak spanish at all! Its very sad. Was the party pretty good overall?
That's cool that you went over there though, must of been sweet.